If you are thinking of buying a new refrigerator you need to be prepared to the many models and features of each model provide.
Though it is just the most basic necessity in your kitchen, it can be overwhelming when you are already faced with so many different kinds of refrigerator models and features.
About 10 million refrigerators are purchased each year according to American Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers. Of these, four million are side by side models and about five million will be top freezer types. One million are bottom freezer versions.
So, top freezer and side by side models tend to sell about equally, shifting in recent years toward the side by side models. Side by side models have become more affordable, driving up sales.
These days, you can find side by side refrigerators with door-mounted water, ice and crushed ice dispensers, as low as $700 or $800.
The features that most people want:
- Ice and water dispensers on the door – the ice and water dispenser features found in most side by side models has driven up the demand for these products.
- Water filtration – Probably 90% of side by side models now include a water filter system to remove chlorine taste and the odor.
- Spill-proof shelving – contains spills and clean up more easily.
- Capacity – people want more space in their refrigerators today to put milk and juice, leftover pizza, and all the other various foods family members like to keep on hand.
- Color and style – stainless steel is very popular today and homes with whole appliance package in stainless are perceived to have higher value, even though in many cases stainless steel kitchen appliances are as affordable as other styles and colors.
Here are some tips that you could help you in choosing the right refrigerator for you and for your family:
- The first thing you should do is set your budget. Since there are many models that offer different features or additional features, you need to remember that the more features, the more it costs. Determine what you and your family need in terms of refrigeration and choose the best refrigerator that meets your needs.
- The second thing you need to consider is the dimension of the area where you want to place your refrigerator. In this stage, you need to be accurate in measuring the width, the depth, and the height of the area where your refrigerator is allocated. You don’t want to buy an oversize refrigerator and make a fuss on where to put it in your kitchen later on.
- After considering your budget and getting the measurements, the next thing you will consider is the design of your new refrigerator.
There are many different designs available in the market today:
- Side by side combo door – the freezer is on one side and the refrigerator on the other side.
- Single-door refrigerator – known as the top mount type. This is the type of refrigerator where the freezer is on top, and the refrigerator is at the bottom.
- Freezer on bottom, refrigerator on top – convenient access to refrigerated items, but requires stooping down to get at frozen items.
- Built-in refrigerator – generally either a side by side or fridge on top, freezer on bottom configuration, one of these babies will set you back a lot more but look great since they blend into the cabinetry seamlessly.
If you are on a tight budget, remember that our golden rule is not to exceed your set budget. A single door refrigerator is much cheaper compared to a two door refrigerator.
Aside from the design that you want, you also need to determine the features that you want in your new refrigerator.
Are you looking for a refrigerator with an ice maker? Do you want your new refrigerator to have a water dispenser? Are you looking for a refrigerator with water filtration?
Or do you want a refrigerator that have specific layout inside? These are only few features the new refrigerators have. The features should meet your needs. Assess what you and your family usually put on your refrigerator, are you stockpiling foods?
Do you usually have more vegetables and fruits? So, before you shop you need to list down all the features that you want and you need. You also need to remember that features also affect the price of the refrigerator.
Another important feature you need to consider is how energy efficient the model can be. This is not a problem for new models as they are pretty much all Energy Star rated. Remember that the best models to purchase are the ones with the most efficient Energy Star rating.
If you are buying your new refrigerator, you also need to consider your family members. If you have a toddler in the family, you might want to consider a refrigerator with a lockout safety feature for ice dispensers and indoor water dispensers.
If you are already window shopping for your new refrigerator, you might as well consider asking for the manufacturer’s warranty that comes with the refrigerator you are considering on your list.
If you are buying a refrigerator, you might as well go window shopping your nearest appliance center instead of just window shopping online. When you buy a refrigerator, you need to inspect the actual unit.