Contemporary homes first gained popularity in the mid to late 1900s and have become increasingly common since then.
This architectural category includes a lot of different house shapes and styles. Some Contemporary homes have Postmodern influences and others have Neoeclectic elements.
The key to identifying a true Contemporary home is the presence of many tall windows. These homes generally have unique, custom shapes. Contemporary homes are rarely rectangular or L shaped.
One story is the most common height for a Contemporary home, although two story versions can also be easily located.
Contemporary Exterior Design Features:
- Roof may be flat or gabled
- Common exterior materials include stone or wood
- Very little exterior ornamentation: no shutters, columns or porches
- Numerous tall windows, sometimes in irregular or trapezoid shapes
- Since the exterior is minimally decorated, landscaping is key to creating curb appeal
Contemporary Interior Décor Features:
- Floor plans are usually open
- Common interior architectural details:
- Cathedral ceilings and exposed beams in styles with gabled roofs
- Crown molding
- Wood and ceramic tile are the most common flooring options. These homes often integrate rare artisan materials
- Gourmet kitchens with central islands are common
- Common countertop materials include marble, concrete, and stainless steel
Contemporary Decorating Suggestions:
- When it comes to decorating a Contemporary home, think clean lines and neutral colors. Add interest to your rooms with an unusual focal point: an abstract modern painting or sculpture, a pop of bright color in a cluster of objects on the mantle, or maybe an attention grabbing ceiling fixture
- Choose neutral furnishings in simple shapes. Update your rooms easily with accessories and paint when the urge strikes
- If you need to inject some patterns into your rooms, stick with modern geometric shapes. No fussy flowers or fluttery laces
- Some decorating schemes that work particularly well with Contemporary architectural design include:
- Modern décor
- Swedish décor
- Asian décor